Tuesday, May 6, 2008

LA Blog #5

Well, almost 2 weeks again between blogs... I thought I was starting to get this stuff down haha. 

Ok, where to start?  Last week I came to realize that even I am not completely immune to being slightly star struck.  I worked 3 days on Race To Witch Mountain from Disney Studios.  The star of the movie is Dwayne Johnson, or as you and I know him, The Rock.  I of course didn't get a chance to talk to him, but by over hearing him talk to crew and some other folk, he seems like a pretty decent guy.  However there was a scene in which during my ducking on the floor, he came within an inch of crushing my hand with his boot... that'd been a story.

Now generally working half of a week on a movie would be very cool.  You meet people and get to hangout with them while getting paid over a 3 day period.  Which I did, as I made a few new friends.  However, my costume was a disaster.  I'm sure you are all aware of those rubber masks that always look way bomb, but when you put them on you can't see or breathe for shit?  Yeah, I got to wear one of those.  Sweaty face and breathing in the air I breathe out for 17 hour work days is quite uncomfortable... oh well. Its over now, haha.

After a weekend of the movie theater (lame), I was back on Greek for 2 days.  Nothing much to talk about here and they were fairly short days.  One spent outside of a college for establishing shots and then a day used mostly for the Kappa Tau pledges preparing for spring break in Myrtle Beach (Long Beach).  I'm very much hoping I get the call to do the Spring Break episodes on Long Beach next week.  California sun, beach gals and being paid to be on television? Not a bad deal in my book.

I had not had any work lined up for last Thursday so I spent the morning walking around town wandering the nearby shops.  Later in the evening I received a rush call.  A rush call is exactly what it sounds like.  Someone either didn't show up or someone didn't call in enough actors.  The call came in 2 hours before I had to be on set, and I obviously had nothing happening so I took it.  Turned out to be a shot for Gavin Rosdale's new music video.  I have no idea what the song was, but it sounded ok.  Mr. Rosdale seemed like a pretty cool guy.  He was all smiles during the shoot. He had a blast.  Afterwards, he stood by the door as everyone was leaving and thanked us individually for helping him make his video.  Class.

Now we are caught up work wise up until yesterday.  I was cast in an indie film titled Barry Munday.  It is based on a book that I believe is titled "Life Is A Strange Place."  I was only involved in 3 scenes but they were a lot of fun to shoot.  The cast includes Patrick Wilson (Hard Candy, Little Children), Billy Dee Williams (Lando!), Missi Pyle (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) Chloe Sevigny (Big Love) and of course Malcolm McDowell. Malcolm, as you should know, starred in Stanley Kubrick's film A Clockwork Orange.  His performance in Clockwork was one of the first few that really made me want to pursue acting so it was great watching him work on this film.

Now, what movies have I been watching?  See Iron Man! Its a truly entertaining action flick.  Robert Downy Jr destroys the role of Tony Stark in possibly the only casting that could work for that character. Brilliant!  Make sure you stay after the credits though as there is a secret scene.  Perhaps not so important for non-readers of comic books, but for those buffs out there... big things.  I also took in a second viewing of Forgetting Sarah Marshall.  I really really enjoyed it, even after repeat viewings.  You must check it out.

DVD wise... I watched Cloverfield recently.  I dont think those of you who were heavily anticipating it along with me liked it a whole lot, but I must say I had a blast.  Watch it again :)  As I type this I am putting The Cowboys starring John Wayne into the ol DVD Player so perhaps you'll read about that shortly.  

DJ Snell popped in for a couple nights last week.  He was present to see my goofy grinnin face when I saw myself on CSI: NY last thursday, haha.  He has been driving around the country for nearly a month and isn't heading back home until late May.  Now that, my friends, I am jealous of. 

Tomorrow morning I will be picking up Cassie Kendeigh from LAX.  PRetty excited to spend a few days with her.  I'm hoping the weather clears up a bit for her as its not so sunny right now.  She has been in Hawaii for a few days, so hopefully she has gotten her fill of sun on the beach juuuust incase :)  We plan on hitting our first Dodgers game during her stay. Should be good times.  

I think that about wraps us up here for this blog.  I promise I will attempt to keep up to date more often!  Take care!

-Arthur

P.S. - You Ohio folk may be seeing my face very soon ;)

No comments: